Registration has opened for agents to apply for the chance to broaden their education and receive a trip to New York as part of the Avis Travel Agent Scholarship of Excellence.
The education and travel package worth over $40,000 provides one winning agent the opportunity to build on their customer service and tourism knowledge via the NY trip and entry into Southern Cross University’s Tourism and Hospitality Management course.
Avis Travel Industry manager Russell Butler told e-Travel Blackboard that agents from all levels of experience are able to apply for the Scholarship, which focuses on “building customer service excellence”.
Mr Butler stressed that the key content required for an agent to move pass the application process and into the winning position is to portray their personal take on customer service as well as provide past examples of how they have assisted and gone that extra mile for the client.
According to the Company’s manager, while winning the package has its benefits, previous applicants and finalists use their submission “to show their value” to prospective employers .
“People apply for the scholarship to set a benchmark for themselves and use it to get ahead,” Mr Butler said.
“Some previous winners have seen that a few months after winning they are place in a new position at work and promoted.
“Peers see their value and the scholarship gives them the opportunity to advance to general manager or office managers.”
Mr Butler added that despite the evolving nature of the industry since the scholarship was first launched 15 years ago, the Scholarship has witnessed a growth in applications particularly over the past five years as the program and its sponsors have shifted to meet online influences.
“We’ve seen the number of applications over the five years increase but also seen diversity evolving in the applications,” Mr Butler added.
“We now have corporate agents, online agents, leisure agents and niche specialist submitting for the Scholarship.”
Agents are able to apply by visiting www.avisscholarship.com.
Finalists will be asked to attend the verbal presentation which will be held in Sydney on 8 November 2011.
To celebrate the Scholarship’s 15 year anniversary, Avis has invited past winners to attend the events in November and stay at the Four Seasons.
The 2011 Avis Travel Agent Scholarship of Excellence will offer a total prize package valued in excess of $40,000, with the winning agent receiving:
- two Qantas Business Class return tickets to New York and six nights’ luxury hotel accommodation in the Big Apple
- seven days’ car rental from Avis
- a first-year tourism scholarship to study at Southern Cross University’s School of Tourism and Hospitality Management, with financial support of up to $10,000 towards the first year of a three-year Bachelor of Tourism Management course*
- four cruise training modules from the International Cruise Council Australasia
- a Polonious Resources Personal Profile, Feedback Session and on-call personal/professional coaching for 12 months
- admission into the TIME (Travel Industry Mentor Experience) mentoring program
- a one year honorary position on the Avis Travel Agents Advisory Board
- a tour of Avis’ World Headquarters in New York and site visits to US agencies.
Source = e-Travel Blackboard: N.J