Darling Harbour shines as an illuminated playground during Vivid Sydney
Vivid Sydney has turned Darling Harbour into a night time playground featuring spectacular light shows that include projections, water fountains, lasers, fireballs and fireworks.
Destination NSW CEO and Executive Producer of Vivid Sydney, Sandra Chipchase said, “As a Vivid Sydney precinct, Darling Harbour is much loved by families who enjoy its wide-open spaces, easy accessibility, and proximity to public transport and a huge array of restaurants and cafes. The precinct’s large scale projections and interactive installations cater for families of all ages.”
Visitors who work up an appetite taking in the lights and sights won’t leave the entertainment hub hungry, with plenty of food options to choose from at Cockle Bay Wharf, Harbourside, Darling Quarter and King Street Wharf.
Darling Harbour is walking distance to the nearby Barangaroo (South) light precinct where Vivid Sydney’s magic continues until 17 June.
Darling Harbour highlights include:
- Tumbalong Lights: Take open space, the night sky and add 32 extraordinary dazzling beams of moving light. The result? A stunning exhibit where spotlights create patterns over visitors as they walk between the suspended lights within Tumbalong Park. Visitors to Tumbalong Lights can check in at the Huawei Phone Booth to capture and share a souvenir GIF featuring the light beams shooting into the night sky as the backdrop.
- Magicians in the Mist: This extraordinary showcase of art and technology features huge projections of mystical beings shone onto walls of water 60 metres wide and 40 metres high, while 12 massive pumps throw 28 tonnes of water into the air every minute. The spectacle is enhanced with lasers, searchlights, jets of flame, music, and fireworks. The Magicians in the Mist show plays every half hour from 6pm-11pm nightly, with fireworks added to the 7pm and 8.30pm shows each Friday and Saturday. An extra fireworks display has now been added at 7pm on Sunday 11 June 2017.
- The Gift of Sight: Journey into the darkness armed with a special UV flashlight to discover incredible artworks created with invisible UV ink in this spellbinding installation from The Fred Hollows Foundation as it celebrates 25 years of saving sight.
- The Light Playground at Darling Quarter: Bring the kids and explore this dazzling interactive installation featuring three different play spaces in modified shipping containers. Enjoy Giant Light Bright’s over-sized interactive black pegboard, Light Bubble Forest where illuminated 1.5 metre high columns are filled with thousands of colour changing bubbles, and Glow in the Dark Illumination showcasing black light luminescence. DJs entertain the crowd from 6pm to 10pm Thursday to Sunday.
- Inspired by the Sea: The wave-like roof of the Australian National Maritime Museum is the canvas for a spectacular projection that showcases the sea’s majesty and mystery, and its power to influence artists, writers and collections. This stunning projection is a collaboration with UTS animation students.
- Expressive mobile technology: Visit the Huawei Hub for an interactive multi-media experience of sound, light and art featuring animated faces on the new Huawei P10 phone.
- Revolutions by Shepard Fairey: A free, outdoor exhibition of the 16 large-scale, music-themed artworks of iconic American artist Shepard Fairey, known around the world for his iconic imagery including the Barack Obama HOPE poster campaign, and album cover art for bands from Led Zeppelin to The Smashing Pumpkins. Each artwork is printed on wood panels and showcases his signature style and passion for music culture. (26 May – 17 June, 1-25 Harbour St, Darling Quarter)
Vivid Sydney is the world’s largest festival of light, music and ideas, which for 23 days – from 26 May to 17 June 2017 – transforms the Harbour City with its unique colourful, creative canvas. In 2016 Vivid Sydney attracted a record 2.31 million attendees.