Manly Beach named Australia’s top beach
TripAdvisor®, the travel planning and booking site, today announced the winners of its Travellers’ Choice® awards for Beaches in Australia and the world.
For the first time, Sydneysiders’ favourite Manly Beach took the #1 spot in Australia whilst six beaches in Queensland made it into the Australia top 10 list. Globally, the gorgeous Grace Bay in Turks and Caicos was rated as the best beach in the world by TripAdvisor reviewers.
“There are few things that Australians love more than a day out at the beach and for those planning a beachside getaway before summer officially comes to a close, TripAdvisor has identified the top award-winning beaches across Australia,” said Grant Colquhoun, TripAdvisor spokesperson. “We have also listed top-rated nearby great value hotels that will enable travellers to enjoy a fantastic beachfront holiday.”
Member for Manly James Griffin said this accolade is well-deserved recognition for what is now officially Australia’s best beach. “Manly is loved by locals and visitors from across the globe so it’s no surprise to see our beach named the number one beach in the country, thanks to its stunning coastline, waterside bars and restaurants, picturesque walking tracks and direct access by ferry from Sydney’s CBD,” Mr Griffin said.
“Manly attracts around 2.3 million visitors each year and with the inaugural Vissla Sydney Surf Pro kicking-off this weekend, now is the perfect time to visit our beautiful beachside suburbs.”
Top 10 Travellers’ Choice Beaches in Australia:
(Excerpts in quotes below from TripAdvisor reviewers)
1. Manly Beach – Sydney, NSW
Coming in first is nothing new to Manly Beach – it was first beach in Australia to allow daylight swimming in 1903, hosted the world’s earliest surfing championship back in 1964 and now taking the number one spot. Reviewers say it’s a “must-see” when in Sydney and travellers can take the ferry service from Circular Quay and spend the afternoon taking in the “breath-taking” views or strolling along Corso, for plenty of shops, bars and restaurants.
- Beachfront best value hotel nearby: Quest Manly, from $261 per night on TripAdvisor
2. Surfers Paradise Beach – Surfers Paradise, QLD
Surfer’s Paradise Beach is one of Australia’s most iconic and visited tourist attraction, known for its “crystal clear waters” and “great sandy beach”. Reviewers recommend it as a picnic spot and taking a stroll down the esplanade for the magnificent city skylines. Vigilant lifeguards keep the beach safe and ensure that beach-goers swim within the safe zones.
- Beachfront best value hotel nearby: Peppers Soul, from $326 per night on TripAdvisor
3. Whitehaven Beach – Whitsunday Island, QLD
Stretching over seven kilometres, Whitehaven beach is the largest of the 74 islands in the Whitsundays. The beach gives a whole new meaning to soft, white sandy beach with 98 percent pure white silica sands, making it “one of the purest in the world”. Travellers highly recommend making a climb up to the Hill Inlet lookout for views of “swirls of pure white sand, crystal turquoise water and little islands of coral reefs around it”.
- Beachfront best value hotel nearby: Whitsunday Apartments Hamilton Island, from $304 per night on TripAdvisor
4. Noosa Main Beach – Noosa, QLD
Home to one of Noosa’s best surf locations, Noosa Main Beach is “great for first time surfers” thanks to its “gentle waves and plenty of life savers”. As one of the very few beaches along Australia’s eastern coastline that faces north, the waters are warm and calm most of the year around. Travellers can head to the nearby Hasting Street, a vibrant area with cafes, bars and restaurants, after a day of relaxation under the sun.
- Beachfront best value hotel nearby: Netanya Noosa, from $342 per night on TripAdvisor
5. Bondi Beach – Sydney, NSW
World-renowned Bondi Beach is one of Sydney’s most popular beaches, located just eight kilometres or a short bus ride away from the city centre. Visitors to Sydney’s famous eastern shoreline will be delighted with Bondi’s “lovely sweeping curve”, “mesmerising waves” and lively sun seekers. Travellers recommend going on a coastal walk from Bondi to Congee to be “rewarded with great scenery and a pleasant walk”.
- Beachfront best value hotel nearby: QT Bondi, from $317 per night on TripAdvisor
6. Four Mile Beach – Port Douglas, QLD
Stretching over four miles of white sand and glistening water, reviewers say Four Mile Beach is “one of the most iconic beaches in tropical north Queensland”. Travellers can expect warm waters, tropical weather and a coastline fringed with palm trees at the main beach of Port Douglas. Swimmers are advised to stay within the netted area which keeps the section of the beach free of sharks, crocodiles and jellyfish.
- Beachfront best value hotel nearby: Peninsula Boutique Hotel, from $352 per night on TripAdvisor
7. Cable Beach – Broome, WA
Cable Beach is said to be “one of the most scenic beaches in the world”, with its rich red ochre dunes, white sand and clear turquoise waters. Named after the telegraph cable laid between Broome and Java in 1889, the beach remains relatively uncrowded even during the peak season between May and October. A “must-do on everyone’s bucket list”, travellers can relax over beers whilst watching the sun set into the Indian Ocean.
- Beachfront best value hotel nearby: Cable Beach Club Resort & Spa, from $175 per night on TripAdvisor
8. Mooloolaba Beach – Mooloolaba, QLD
Mooloolaba Beach is the one of the safest of the Sunshine Coast beaches as its north-facing location ensures near-perfect and safe water conditions all year round. The gentle waves makes the “beautiful and clean” beach popular for swimming, boogie boards and body surfing. A favourite among families, the rock pools along the beach have “all sorts of interesting creatures for children to observe safely”.
- Beachfront best value hotel nearby: Mantra Mooloolaba Beach Resort, from $191 per night on TripAdvisor
9. Burleigh Heads Beach – Burleigh Heads, QLD
Located on the Southern end of Gold Coast, Burleigh Heads is famous for its “perfect” surfing conditions and laid back Australian atmosphere. Loved by locals and tourists alike, the beach is a great spot for swimming in protected waters. It is also close to Burleigh Head National Park, where travellers can “spot some wildlife and capture great scenic shots of the coastline”.
- Beachfront best value hotel nearby: Burleigh Mediterranean Resort, from $352 per night on TripAdvisor
10. Turquoise Bay – Exmouth, WA
Experience “turquoise waters and white sand” at Turquoise Bay, one of Western Australia’s most beautiful beaches. The beach is within metres of the renowned Ningaloo Reef making it the perfect spot for snorkelling amongst a rich biodiversity of marine life including “colourful corals and fishes, octopuses and see turtles.” The bay is also popular for drift snorkelling, where beachgoers swim out to the reef on the southern end of the beach and let the current wash them north to the sand bar.
- Beachfront best value hotel nearby: Mantarays Ningaloo Beach Resort, from $163 per night on TripAdvisor
Top 10 Travellers’ Choice Beaches in the World:
1. Grace Bay – Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
- Beachfront best value hotel nearby: Ports of Call Resort, from $341 per night on TripAdvisor
2. Baia do Sancho – Fernando de Noronha, Brazil
- Beachfront best value hotel nearby: Beco de Noronha Pousada, from $375 per night on TripAdvisor
3. Varadero Beach – Varadero, Cuba
- TripAdvisor is unable to offer information about accommodations in Cuba at this time, due to restrictions on travel to Cuba.
4. Eagle Beach – Palm – Eagle Beach, Aruba
- Beachfront best value hotel nearby: Amsterdam Manor Beach Resort, from $376 per night on TripAdvisor
5. Seven Mile Beach – Seven Mile Beach, Cayman Islands
- Beachfront best value hotel nearby: Compass Point Dive Resort, from $315 per night on TripAdvisor
6. La Concha Beach – San Sebastian – Donostia, Spain
- Beachfront best value hotel nearby: Hotel de Londres y de Inglaterra, from $217 per night on TripAdvisor
7. Clearwater Beach – Clearwater, Florida
- Beachfront best value hotel nearby: Pier House 60 Marina Hotel, from $370 per night on TripAdvisor
8. Seven Mile Beach – Negril, Jamaica
- Beachfront best value hotel nearby: Firefly Beach Cottages, from $85 per night on TripAdvisor
9. Bavaro Beach – Bavaro, Dominican Republic
- Beachfront best value hotel nearby: Ocean Blue & Sand, from $257 per night on TripAdvisor
10. Playa Norte – Isla Mujeres, Mexico
- Beachfront best value hotel nearby: Hotel Bucaneros Hotel & Suites, from $114 per night on TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor has awarded 355 beaches overall, including the top 25 in the world and local lists for Asia, Europe, Africa, South Pacific, South America, Middle East, Caribbean, Central America, Australia, Brazil, Costa Rica, France, Germany, Greece, India, Indonesia, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Mexico, New Zealand, Portugal, Spain, Thailand, Turkey, the U.K. and the U.S. Award winners were determined based on the quantity and quality of traveller reviews and ratings for beaches on TripAdvisor, gathered over a 12-month period.
For the complete list of Travellers’ Choice Beach award-winners for 2018, as well as the latest reviews and candid traveller photos, visit www.TripAdvisor.com/TravelersChoice-Beaches Travellers can also follow the conversation on Twitter at #TravellersChoice.