Airbnb doubles down on experiences, expanding to 1000 destinations
With 2500 percent growth in Experience bookings in 2017, Airbnb is creating new passion categories and expanding to 1000 destinations this year.
- Driven by 5000 Experiences across 60 destinations, bookings have grown 2500 percent in the past year
- Airbnb will expand Experiences to 1000 destinations by the end of 2018, including places such as Easter Island, Tasmania and Iceland
- Airbnb is announcing new Experience passion categories such as Airbnb Concerts, Social Dining, and Adventures, and is expanding its Social Impact Experiences by working with more than 1000 non-profits in 2018
- Some of the most-booked Experience hosts have earned more than $200,000 through their offerings
In ten years, we’ve seen Airbnb hosts drive magical travel at unprecedented scale. And since launching Trips in November 2016, we’ve shown that this doesn’t just apply to Homes. Our vision of end-to-end travel, encompassing where you stay, what you do and who you meet, has helped almost a million travellers better get to know destinations through Experiences, travel activities crafted and led by expert locals.
This formula is working. Driven by thousands of new Experiences across 60 cities, Experience bookings grew 2500 percent during 2017, and we’ve seen Experiences grow 25X faster than Homes did in the first year. In addition, we’re finding that guests who book Experiences overwhelmingly love them: 91 percent of Experience bookings receive five star reviews.
In 2018, we’re doubling down on Experiences, both in terms of expansion and the quality and uniqueness of our offerings. By the end of this year, Experiences will expand to more than 1000 destinations, including unique places like Easter Island, Tasmania and Iceland.
In tandem, we’re ensuring that Experience guests always find authentic, well-curated activities that travellers can’t find elsewhere, and more importantly, those that align with their interests and passions. Over 50,000 hosts have applied to host Experiences, but high quality is important and we select our Experience hosts based on expertise, local access and their ability to offer great hospitality. In doing so, we are also helping hosts make extra income doing what they love. Some of our most-booked hosts are making more than $200,000 per year offering Experiences.
Experiences are also building knowledge about what every destination has to offer, from local cuisine and arts to music and outdoor adventures. With that in mind, we’re adding new passion categories – Airbnb Concerts, Social Dining, Adventures – and expanding Social Impact Experiences:
- Airbnb Concerts, intimate live shows in unexpected venues that most travellers don’t know about
- Social Dining, specialty dining Experiences planned by hosts that help travellers make friends from all over the world
- Adventures, multi-day excursions off the beaten path that travellers plan a whole trip around: such as living with Bedouins camping in the Sahara – we’re even looking into trips to the North Pole
- Social Impact Experiences, transformative activities connecting travellers to local non-profits, with no fees taken by Airbnb